Re: System supplier

Carolyn,

I'm answering this and copying to the linux [ at ] linux-ottawa [ dot ] org list, where
there may be more people who receive this. Though I've been on the Board
for ages, I wasn't aware of the club@... address, so don't know the scope
of distribution. I recommend joining the list which is not heavy traffic,
as questions do get answered, including one of my own that saved me a
couple of hundred dollars on a new printer. linux+subscribe [ at ] linux-ottawa [ dot ] org
Some of the discussion definitely very technical, but other stuff everyday
problems.

My advice will be based on my own setup, and may not match your needs:

- I don't use Samba; I do use sshfs. I suspect that the experience is not
too different. Setup probably takes a try or two and some testing, but
detail rather than difficult.

- I run several flavours of Linux, some on VMs using VirtualBox. It just
happens that VBox is more familiar to me and is in some of the Ubuntu/Mint
repositories so more familiar.

- Using an old Win7 product key from over a decade ago, I was able to download
the 5G Win10 iso file and install an apparently legit Win10 VM on VirtualBox.
In fact using two different keys, once on my machine and once on my wife's.
If there's interest, I'll try to find the link to the "how to", though really
it was 'try Win10 install' and use product key. I did need a Microsoft account.

- Our "main" working machines use Linux Mint. It seems to be a good path from
Windows. Sort of a green coloured WinXP. Good range of software using Ubuntu
as a base plus some of its own packages. Extensive forums for help. Large
user base.

- Our "light" machines -- the over 10 year old ones -- run Bunsenlabs Helium.
Some need 32 bit, and I think one is still non-PAE processor. This works well,
but it's definitely different. However, a friend who is definitely non-geek
uses it because he does everything via a web browser, including email, and
Bunsen has keyboard shortcuts for web and shutdown.

Let us know how you get on.

Best, JN