Project Participants For Linux Playground

Hi Folks,

Wondering if there was any group interest to setup a linux environment for learning and collaboration with fellow members.  I don’t have a solid plan as I’m open to suggestions regarding structure.  But here are my primary thoughts:

Purpose:
People with various skills and interests to partake in setting up and configuring all the required services to build an enterprise playground.  Yes people can do this at home, but the collaborative effort and unknown variables of other users would add a more real world simulation.  We can mimic the enterprise structure of CIO, network engineers, security administrators, service administrators, Helpdesk, kubernetes orchestration etc.  I’ve ran a large group like this in the past and it was quite successful where many people moved on to make it their career or advance into a promoted position.

Skill Requirements:
People of all skill levels to be assigned in various roles based on their experience where they can progress and advance into higher level playground roles.  The “CIO” (me) would make the initial assessment while basic services are setup.

Hardware:
Ideally, any headless workstation from the last 5 years that can run Proxmox or other virtual environment.  However any machine that could connect into the network VPN with shell and/or web access to contribute in the way they want.

Key Topics / Areas Of Interest:
-site to site vpn technology
-certificate / key management
-firewalls
-Intrusion Prevention Systems
-ethical hacking
-mail services
-ldap
-kubernets, docker
-dns
-dhcp
-nfs,cifs,smb,ftp, etc
-backup and recovery services
-assortment of web services
-internal text messaging services
-black hat team
-white hat team
-paralell processing projects
-whatever is desired

Software:
-Everything above can be done with linux and open source and/or free software

Planning meetings can be held locally and/or online.

If you’re interested,  send me a direct email with your areas of interest and what you can contribute.

Cheers,
Jeff