Latex to epub conversion -- recent improvements

I have given a couple of talks about issues I experienced in my writing work when
trying to create epub files.

Some of these issues concern:

  - formatting woes
  - failure of converters to capture spacing, pagination, or images
  - some material simply "left out" without warning or notice.

While I was able to work around some of these problems in the past using different
approaches e.g., tth to convert Latex to html, then using ebook-convert to go from
html to epub, then Sigil to clean up, I have recently found some updates that seem
to do much better.

1) within the texlive-extra-tools package (Ubuntu/Mint/??other distros) there is
tex4ebook tool that seems to work well.

2) though my latest Linux Mint 19.3 has pandoc 1.19.xx version which lacks the
logfile option and leaves out some images (expletives deleted here!), from
pandoc.org, I downloaded the deb file and installed 2.9.2.1. This will convert
Latex to epub nicely, and has a --log= option.

Given that I am testing with my own examples, I'm sure there are cases which will
not work. I'd be interested in such experiences, as it is only through informing
developers that progress is made.

Examples at http://web.ncf.ca/nashjc/Edmund/ and http://web.ncf.ca/nashjc/novels/.

Note that NCF's web file area still under http and not https. NCF tech. have said
they are working towards resolving this. Indeed, there is a planned beta test of
new setup that I just received a request to participate in.

Best, JN