Re: what are people using as opposed to zoom for videoconferencing?

  • Subject: Re: what are people using as opposed to zoom for videoconferencing?
  • From: Dianne Skoll <dianne [ at ] skoll [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2020 13:40:33 -0400
On 2020-04-02 10:47, Richard Guy Briggs wrote:

> On 2020-04-02 09:36, Dianne Skoll wrote:

>> I use Jitsi.  Seems to work well enough.

> I'm going to try setting up my own server.

Before you do, a few things:

1) Jitsi really, *really* wants its own server name.  So you want to spin
up a server like "meet.tricolour.ca" and not try to do it in a subdirectory
like "www.tricolour.ca/jitsi"

2) Read this LWN article and follow the link where he talks about
misconfiguration in Debian's default setup: https://lwn.net/Articles/815751/

3) Keep yourself sane and install in Debian or Ubuntu.  Installing on RPM-based
distros isn't really supported.

Regards,

Dianne.