Re: what are people using as opposed to zoom for videoconferencing?

  • Subject: Re: what are people using as opposed to zoom for videoconferencing?
  • From: Richard Guy Briggs <rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2020 10:52:45 -0400
On 2020-04-02 08:39, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   given zoom's recent very, very, very bad press:
>
> https://techbeacon.com/node/3805
>
> what alternatives are people here using? here's one article that
> proposes some alternatives:
>
> https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/1/21202945/zoom-alternative-conference-video-free-app-skype-slack-hangouts-jitsi

I'll have a look at these two links...

I've had exactly the same concerns.  When trying to set up zoom a number
of days ago, I was pretty surprised when I first got redirected from
zoom.us to zoom.com.cn.  Then it pushed me to install their app rather
than let me use my browser.  The next day, even though I had managed to
connect the night before, it would not let me in until I fed it an SMS
account number, but I have no cell phone.  Mike Gifford shared this link
with me that confirmed my concerns and also suggested viable
alternatives:

	https://metaviews.substack.com/p/future-tools-jitsi?token=eyJ1c2VyX2lkIjoyNDEwNDg0LCJwb3N0X2lkIjozNDU2NDIsIl8iOiJ4MmwyOCIsImlhdCI6MTU4NTc3NTI4NCwiZXhwIjoxNTg1Nzc4ODg0LCJpc3MiOiJwdWItMTY4ODIiLCJzdWIiOiJwb3N0LXJlYWN0aW9uIn0.g3Q-oeKzMoSOvJvMDQYMUkDPzDojEqLVKpDo5sKe6ac

> just curious if anyone has personal experience with any of the
> lesser-known alternatives?

Mike did set up a jit.si session for us, but the others in the call were
more enticed by the shinyness of zoom and all left the call.  I would
have preferred to have stayed on the jit.si call.

Rob, thank you for starting this thread!

> rday

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\             <hpv.tricolour.ca>
<www.TriColour.ca>                 --  \___   o \@      @        Ride yer bike!