Re: question about automating download/install of google's "repo" tool

  • Subject: Re: question about automating download/install of google's "repo" tool
  • From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 07:44:31 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 30 Mar 2020, Rick Leir wrote:

> Robert

> But wait, your vim .. it's out of date. And your compiler .. it's
> out of date.
>
> How frequently does repo get updated? More than vim no doubt. But
> your dnf update happens frequently, or is it apt-get. And it checks
> for compatibility with other packages. And you are less likely to
> stumble at the bleeding edge ( remember openssl and heartbleed? The
> older version was safe.)
>
> But it is more fun to use the latest of everything, I get you there!
> Excuse me for arguing here. Thanks for mentioning repo, I should be
> using it.

  just to be clear about repo, the issue here is that that command
actually serves two purposes.

  first, if you're using it to *initialize* a new repository, it acts
as the "launcher tool", whose job it is to set up the new repo, then
*fetch* the current version of the "repo" command to be used in all
subsequent operations.

  and second, once that repo is initialized (as i said), it's the
newer version (now embedded in the repository) that will be used.

  the point here is that the launcher tool is really a simple piece of
software, doesn't need to do much more than fetch the newer, more
stable version. so downloading and version controlling the launcher
tool version is kind of way overkill, that's all.

  i think i'm going to write a wiki page on this as others i've
chatted with don't really understand how it works.

rday