Re: A new subscriber ... in need of help.

  • Subject: Re: A new subscriber ... in need of help.
  • From: Allan Topp <ad707 [ at ] ncf [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2020 12:01:27 -0500
Thanks for the outpouring of helpful emails.  Much appreciated.

Alas, not that simple.

I've been trying to do this for a couple of days.

The "BIOS" is UEFI and, as I understand it, it is therefore necessary I install ubuntu under (is that the right adverb?) UEFI. However, the ubuntu installation does not allow for choosing UEFI.

And!  There is a 20 Gig unallocated partition on the HD (created by Windows Shrink!) that the installation does not permit me to choose (it's greyed out).

So, with choices limited to "use whole disk" or "use whole disk with LVM" I've come to a standstill.

Bringing me back to "is there anyone out there with the knowledge/experience to handle this"?

I last installed a dual boot on Windows 7 - and it was a breeze. Not so this time ...

Other than the Windows stuff there are no files on the computer to back up