Re: A new subscriber ... in need of help.

As I'm not in Ottawa, I'll not be the one to help unless you can wait
until March. But another alternative may be the "newcomer" section of
our regular monthly meetings, especially if you let us know you'll be
there. Other board members?

The key thing is to have your machine there, and if possible partitioned
already. Also your live USB for installation. My experience is that it
is worth paying some attention to the setup, so I'd recommend booting
with a live USB and getting the disk structure. One way is

   sudo fdisk -l

from a terminal and send to this list. I've found that some laptops have
quite complicated layouts. I like the Asus machines for keeping things
fairly nice -- they usually have C: and D: in WIndows, and the D: can
be repurposed nicely with no fuss. But I've seen Acers with about 6
partitions all over the place and had to shrink the Windows partition.
That takes time.

I've had no troubles installing recent Linux Mint (and I think Ubuntu
is similar) with EFI mode -- it was essentially automatic. I did one
recently in 10 minutes, but that was "wipe the disk and use all of
it".

Good luck

JN