Re: Slack Channel

On 2019-11-09 08:52, Dianne Skoll wrote:
> On 11/9/19 6:10 AM, Jeff Green wrote:
> > Is there a Slack Channel for the group?  If not, would there be interest
> > in making one?
>
> There is an IRC channel:  #oclug on OFTC.NET
>
> https://webchat.oftc.net/?nick=WHATEVER&channels=%23oclug&uio=d4

There have been over a dozen people on that channel for at least 17
years.

> I'm now going to go on a rant. :)

I think I can hear what is coming and am guessing I fully agree.  I was
going to just ignore the original suggestion of slack as off-topic, but
since someone else has weighed in, I'll jump in too now.

> I would not be interested in a Slack channel.  IRC is open-source with
> an open protocol; Slack is closed-source with a closed protocol.  I
> don't think OCLUG should be in the business of promoting closed source
> or closed protocols.

Absolutely 100% agree.  Same reason I don't have any use for other
corporate walled gardens such as Skype, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat,
etc...  I have dabbled a tiny bit in Twitter, but Mastodon is an open
alternative if I felt the need to communicate with 140 character
limits.  The only one I've used with any frequency is LinkedIn, which
has now been acquired by Microsoft.

> Slack has discontinued options for using open protocols.
> https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/09/slack_cuts_ties_to_irc_and_xmpp/
>
> You can't log in to Slack as more than one user at a time.  This is
> particularly annoying if you have a work Slack channel and also want
> personal Slack channels open at the same time.  This is not an issue with
> IRC clients.
>
> I mean, sure, you can't easily send an animated GIF of a cat chasing a laser
> pointer over IRC, but to me the lack of bullshit like that is a good thing!

However, this is possible with XMPP, and while I do like the simple
nature of text, I'd be willing to entertain some possibility to enable
this in an open way.  G+ did use XMPP, but they had extended it and
eventually killed it.

> End rant.

rant++

> Regards,
>
> Dianne.

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\             <hpv.tricolour.ca>
<www.TriColour.ca>                 --  \___   o \@      @        Ride yer bike!