Re: Thinking of giving away some Git courses/seminars to promote my classes

  • Subject: Re: Thinking of giving away some Git courses/seminars to promote my classes
  • From: J C Nash <profjcnash [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2019 09:36:47 -0400
When I posted the announcement (not the email, but Scott has more or less copied my
wording), I anticipated what he suggests -- 30-45 mins for each topic.

Assuming Scott goes first, I think we can assume starting git discussion about 7:15,
and I was presuming Robert would begin with about 30 mins of more or less standard
talk, and I would moderate Q&A to get in some topics I feel affect those of us who
are non-power users and need a way to avoid being "cold" each time we need to use
git.

Robert: Does that work for you?

This conversation highlights the situation that Linux-Ottawa is a much less focussed
group than a few years ago, and the general lack of organizational manpower to plan
and direct meetings. Those of us still doing it do make sure there is a space and
some topic. Sometimes we've more structure than others. I note that lots of other
organizations are facing similar challenges. Meetups seem to pop up and die quite
a lot. Traditional organizations find folk claiming not to have time. Maybe we need
5 days a month where mobiles only handle phone calls. Or a mandatory app that allows
only 35 mins a day lit screen.

We also have several different streams of users. Whereas when I started to come to
the then OCLUG meetings, it was mostly folk doing software development. Now we also
have Win-refugees, people wanting to use open source software who are not necessarily
programmers, as well as our hard-core. Some members may feel that this "just isn't
like it used to be", and makes for difficult meetings -- it does! The up-side is
that Linux is now more widely used, and by a more diverse base. That could be an
opportunity, but probably we need to involve new members to exploit that.

JN