Re: looking to document a decent (fedora) linux development environment

  • Subject: Re: looking to document a decent (fedora) linux development environment
  • From: Rick Leir <rleir [ at ] leirtech [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 17:57:39 -0400
I have experience with Fedora, Centos and a debian based distro ( Ubuntu!).

Fedora is bleeding edge. You will sometimes need to learn something new just to keep the machine usable. And you will be forced to upgrade regularly (is it a yearly thing?).

Centos has the same packages, but not bleeding edge and you are not forced to upgrade so often. It is your best choice for a server, but its desktop is not as good as Ubuntu.

You said the devs are moving from Windows? I would be cheering, but maybe they do not want to change. The biggest issue might be as you say IDE or devops. Just allow them to install all the tools they want .. VScode, Notepad++, Atom, ... It is hard to predict what they will want installed tomorrow or even ten minutes from now, the choices are very personal. That is fine, installing packages is easy on Centos and Ubuntu. Not always easy on Fedora because of package versions. Ping me directly if you want more on this.

You can document it today, and it will be different within days.
Cheers
Rick