ASUS Z87-Pro Motherboard on-board NIC not working

Hey folks, a bit of a longshot but is anyone using this and can give
me the magic incantation to get the NIC working?  It has an i217-v
chipset and wow there are a lot of issues with that out there on
google.  Just spent almost 2 hours buried in it.

The only real recent solution I can find is changing wake-on-lan and
PXE settings so I've been messing around with those in BIOS but still
no love, though I am seeing slightly different behavior.  With the
current settings Linux isn't even seeing the NIC for some reason
(though that should not be the case based on my settings) but in

Luckily the on-board wifi is working great but my end goal is to
disable that in the BIOS and use hard-wired.

I'm on the latest CentOS 7 just yum updated but there seem to be
similar problems with every release of Linux since Fedora 9 with that
chipset

Otherwise loving the new (to me) PC!

I think my next step is to pop in a different blank HD and try a fresh
install just out of curiosity.

--
"You should sit in nature for 20 minutes a day.
 Unless you are busy, then you should sit for an hour"