Re: wireless router recommendations?

I haven't found any of the typical home grade routers that are reliable and
give me the configurability I want.  The wrt54gl + tomato was my favourite,
but the RT-16N I replaced it with would overheat and die. I have since
switched to mikrotik routers + unifi access points. A bit of a learning
curve, but a huge step up from the typical home router in terms of
configurability, stability and reliability. For your situation, that might
be overkill.  However, if you are not sold on having a dd-wrt like OS, you
may want to take a look at the mikrotik routers with access point built
in.  There are two that might fit the bill for you and be quite
cost-effective: the hap lite and hap ac lite.  You should be able pick them
up locally in Ottawa for under $50, with the non-ac version being a lot
cheaper.

https://mikrotik.com/product/RB941-2nD
https://mikrotik.com/product/RB951Ui-2nD