Re: Is static address ipv6 on Teksavvy working for you?

  • Subject: Re: Is static address ipv6 on Teksavvy working for you?
  • From: Bart Trojanowski <bart [ at ] jukie [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2018 07:28:49 -0400
Hi Brett,

I am enjoying native IPv6 from TekSavvy, including /64 address delegation
to my
intranet hosts.  It is a brittle setup, but it works.

The key things to configure are:
* pppd / rp-pppoe
* sysctl (forwarding=1, autoconf=1, accept_ra=2)
* iptables ... -j TCPMSS --clamp-mss-to-pmtu
* wide-dhcpv6-client
* dnsmasq

Here are some highlights of the setup:
* modem setup to bypass mode (does not terminate pppoe)
* Debian router terminates pppoe using rp-pppoe
* TekSavvy gives me 2 logins, one for static IPv4 and another for IPv6
  -- I don't know if they still do this, but back when they started this is
what they did :-)
* I have /etc/ppp/peers/ipv4 and /etc/ppp/peers/ipv6
  -- "pon ipv4" brings up ppp0, "pon ipv6" brings up ppp1
* /etc/ppp/ipv6-up.d/0-local script does the heavy lifting
  -- sets up sysctl params, starts dhcp6c on the ppp1 device, etc
* pppoe itself will get my ppp1 IPv6 address, but it does not delegate to
the LAN
* dhcp6c (from wide-dhcpv6 package) is requests teh /56 from TS over DHPCv6
* an alternative would be to use radvd or dhcpcd5
  -- I didn't get that to work for me -- or it wasn't stable
* I use dnsmasq to do the actual address delegation
  -- dnsmasq.conf has "enable-ra" and "ra-param=eth0,60" options
* the routing ocasionally stops working
  -- I have a script that tests IPv6 status every few minutes
  -- if needed does an "poff ipv6" followed by "pon ipv6"
  -- sometimes the pppoe sessions stay up for weeks, sometimes for minutes

Other than the last part (the script that restart ipv6 pppoe sessions), I
found
all the details in various HOWTOs online.  It's been a while, so I don't
recall
how it all works at a protocol level anymore.  And I certainly, I don't
remember
exactly what sources I used to learn all this crap :-)

Let me know what specifically doesn't work for you.

-Bart