displaying action of subversion that has been called from a script

Somehow I think this should be easy, but my efforts so far have not been successful.
I must be missing something obvious.

I'm wanting to share edits of genealogy files with my wife on several computers. (I can
give some chapter and verse on what we tried for genealogy software at a meeting sometime.
We settled on GenealogyJ for now.)

The important data collection is a GEDCOM file and a directory tree of image files, and
I put this on a server which runs svn and ssh. Mary can doubleclick on the GEDCOM in
a file manager (Double Commander or Caja or ...) to initiate my script (call it genj),
which is important, since she doesn't much like command-line, and often gets into the
wrong directory in a terminal. The script then has the general form

  svn up

  genealogyJ

  svn commit

Now the glitchy bit. I want to see what subversion is doing i.e., did it get an
update, and is there any conflict i.e., have we been editing at the same time?
Also did the commit complete OK?

I currently have zenity displaying a message, but it only says what is being
attempted.

Cheers, JN