Re: [OCLUG-Tech] does anyone still use "dump" for backups these days?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] does anyone still use "dump" for backups these days?
  • From: Scott Murphy <ovsage [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 12:30:25 -0500
I suspect that the answer to that depends on what you are using as a backup medium.

I have a tape robot and more tapes than I can ever possibly use, so it gets some use. Mostly for archives. Amanda is a pain, as it wants to fill tapes, so lots of tape changes to get as much on a tape as possible. Bacula is somewhat better, as long as you like config files. rsync to a NAS is my usual backup strategy and synching the NAS to another is my redundancy. The occasional dd to an external HDD from my laptop is also a hedge against disaster.

In defence of dump, I used it relatively recently to virtualize a system that was on old hardware and not readily accessible. Other methods I tried failed. Restoring dump files to correctly sized virtual disks & LVMs on a new VM from a live distro made it an easy task. I suspect I could even turn that into a short topic talk for a future meeting if there is interest.