Re: [OCLUG-Tech] reconfigure laptop disk for linux?

Clonezilla has turned out to be a VERY good idea. I've restored the
saved disk image and have a working Win10 again, even though I wanted to
have dual boot.

So the value add for Clonezilla is safety. Esp. as the Windows Recovery USB failed
to work as advertised. I can now start over with install and try to see what is
failing to click. This is the first time in many Mint installs that I've had any
problems. For info, clonezilla iso is about 275MB and the interface, though a bit
clunky, works fine, though the messages are quite long and need to be read carefully.

In another post, Alex pointed to a bug report concerning block size warning for
USB keys built with Startup disk creator.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usb-creator/+bug/1708881
I use dd sometimes, though I find mintstick friendlier, and I've tried some other
tools. However, I've just found reports that mintstick gives same error, even
though it is a different beast. Source is on github. As there seem to be people
claiming each of USB-creator, mintstick and unetbootin are all "best", looks like
there's material for a good talk here, but perhaps only if someone has good info
on the chips inside different USBs.

Thanks also for link to https://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/secureboot.html,
which I shall have to read carefully. Afraid as "user" rather than "developer", I'd
prefer most of this was under the hood.

I definitely agree with Alex (and many others) that grub could be much more
user-friendly.

I'll report back when I figure out this machine ....

JN