Re: [OCLUG-Tech] fastest way to do full home dir backup to fresh HD?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] fastest way to do full home dir backup to fresh HD?
  • From: Alex Pilon <alp [ at ] alexpilon [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 22:49:02 -0500
> > > I'd be using rsync -vaP so that subsequent updates are faster, but
> > > tar zcvf
> >
> > Also add -H, -A, and -X. These aren't just edge cases!
>
> Sure...  but my home directory hasn't ever had any of these,

-A is admittedly for somebody who does everything outside of a DE like
you, yeah. Might want to confirm for the original poster. Doubt he's
doing specific sharing though.

> so it wasn't an issue.  I have used -x though...

-x -> one file system
-X -> xattrs

It's quite likely your web browser stores the user.xdg.origin.url and
user.xdg.referrer.url xattrs. It's an implementation detail whether it
uses these or loads it from its sqlite database though.

I also thought some MACs used xattrs for security markings.

and -H, I thought you used git? Wouldn't that blow the space of his
backup, slow it down? He is a Linux, yocto, etc. developer after all.

Cheers,

Alex Pilon