Re: [OCLUG-Tech] fastest way to do full home dir backup to fresh HD?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] fastest way to do full home dir backup to fresh HD?
  • From: Richard Guy Briggs <rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 08:19:04 -0500
On 2017-12-27 06:58, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   time to kill, so i found an unused 1TB USB hard drive in the drawer
> and thought, what the heck, just do an end-of-year backup of all of
> /home/rpjday on my fedora box, and since i don't care how long it
> takes, i just did a basic "cp -a" to preserve owner/group/timestamps,
> and it's chugging away, but i'm curious ... what would be the
> *fastest* way to do that?
>
>   should i have run it through tar with compression, or rsync with
> compression, or scp, or ... you get the idea. i suspect that since i
> didn't take advantage of compression, i'm currently being limited by
> the throughput of the USB port and i'm currently doing it the slowest
> way possible.

I'd be using rsync -vaP so that subsequent updates are faster, but tar zcvf
might be faster due to compression...  but that depends on USB 2 vs 3, speed of
CPUs...  I prefer gzip over bzip, but I've not benchmarked them for
optimization of compression ratio vs cpu bandwidth.

>   thoughts?
>
> rday

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\             <hpv.tricolour.ca>
<www.TriColour.ca>                 --  \___   o \@      @        Ride yer bike!