Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Linux infotainment/automotive platform questions

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Linux infotainment/automotive platform questions
  • From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 11:17:59 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 14 Jun 2017, Richard Guy Briggs wrote:

> On 2017-06-12 15:22, Craig Lord wrote:
> > Hello,

> > My name is Craig Lord, I'm a reporter with the Ottawa Business
> > Journal. I'm working on a story right now about Toyota's decision
> > to use a Linux-based platform for its in-car infotainment platform
> > as opposed to local company BlackBerry QNX.

> > I'm wondering if anyone at the Ottawa Linux Users group could
> > suggest a local contact who could give me some context on the
> > benefits of Linux as an infotainment system and what the benefits
> > are of using it as an open-source solution for a company such as
> > Toyota.
>
> Given that airline in-flight infotainment systems have been running
> Linux for years this doesn't surprise me.

  amusingly, the current AGL software is repo-based, and when you
check it out and "repo sync", you can see all the OE/Yocto layers that
comprise the current AGL infrastructure:

  meta-agl
  meta-agl-demo
  meta-agl-devel
  meta-agl-extra
  meta-altera
  meta-boundary
  meta-fsl-arm
  meta-fsl-arm-extra
  meta-intel
  meta-intel-iot-security
  meta-oic
  meta-openembedded
  meta-qcom
  meta-qt5
  meta-raspberrypi
  meta-renesas
  meta-renesas-rcar-gen3
  meta-rust
  meta-security-isafw
  meta-ti
  meta-updater
  poky

you've got contributions from intel, TI, freescale, altera, boundary
devices, renesas, qualcomm ... quite the collective of people
co-operating to make this happen.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca