Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Linux infotainment/automotive platform questions

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Linux infotainment/automotive platform questions
  • From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 08:46:12 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 12 Jun 2017, Craig Lord wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My name is Craig Lord, I'm a reporter with the Ottawa Business
> Journal. I'm working on a story right now about Toyota's decision to
> use a Linux-based platform for its in-car infotainment platform as
> opposed to local company BlackBerry QNX.

> I'm wondering if anyone at the Ottawa Linux Users group could
> suggest a local contact who could give me some context on the
> benefits of Linux as an infotainment system and what the benefits
> are of using it as an open-source solution for a company such as
> Toyota.

  by the way, understand that toyota is not just using a "linux-based
platform", they're implementing the "Automotive Grade Linux (AGL)"
standard, which defines a wide-sweeping software standard focused on
the automotive industry. that means that car makers don't have to
start from scratch -- the majority of the software platform is already
done for them, and they need only tweak appropriately for their
particular hardware, saving them literally months, if not years, of
work.

  unsurprisingly (at least unsurprisingly to me), the software is
based on openembedded/yocto project, the downloadable S/W is here:

https://wiki.automotivelinux.org/agl-distro/source-code#download_master_branch

so anyone can peruse, download and build the code themselves.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca