Re: [OCLUG-Tech] domain registration and web hosting

Your requirements are rather simple, I agree. Where it may become harder for a cheap hosting is the SSH and the SVN. SSH is something I used when I has having my domain hosted at GoDaddy. I took the Deluxe Hosting, which was a bit above US$120 per year. As I was not using it very much, I cancelled all that, and went with something much cheaper, rebel.com. I do not know about other hosting providers, but rebel.com do not offer SSH, at least not for the hosting plan I have (probably their cheapest). As the the cpanel, I know that rebel.com offers some web-based control off the web functionalities and file management (terrible.....) and so does GoDaddy, but I do not think this is what you know as cpanel. But bnoth offer file control and editing as well as options for the web hosting.

I *may* be there tonight, if my son's mountain cycling activity gets cancelled due to the weather.

Quoting J C Nash <profjcnash [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com>:

Dear OCLUG members:

There have been a number of postings over the years asking about good places to get different services. I have a similar issue now with domain renewal and web hosting renewal coming up,
and possible a slightly different set of needs.

While the list provides answers of various types to such requests, it would probably be useful if I edited them and presented a summary, which I volunteer to do. (See the oclug wiki for
a recent investigation of jpg captioning I did.)

Below is my set of needs. Comments and opinions welcomed.

See you at meetings, including tonight's at Algonquin P-216b.

JN

Internet hosting

- have domain name (nashinfo.com)
- Need to renew in July. Currently with CADNS
	- domain
	- points domain to hosting
- Want hosting of some sort for limited services.
	Currently with Beck Web Services (lasts until October, but probably simpler
               to renew domain, domain pointing, and hosting all together)
		- email (but I normally forward it automatically elsewhere)
		- small file space (say a few GB)
		- limited web pages (static)
                - not a lot of traffic
		- cpanel
	Would like to add
		- ssh
		- svn
		- possibly some other linux services when logged in
			via ssh e.g., bash

- Do NOT want
	- to have to manage email very much
	- to have to do a lot of hardening of "site", i.e., want only to
		turn on minimal setup and NOT have to carefully review a
		system for things that might be open