Re: [OCLUG-Tech] how can I control network bandwidth usage?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] how can I control network bandwidth usage?
  • From: Don Hey <donhey [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2017 14:56:30 -0400
If you want a software based solution, I've played with Wonder Shaper and
it may be worth a look:

http://lartc.org/wondershaper/

There is also trickle.

On May 3, 2017 1:02 PM, "Peter Sjöberg" <peters-oclug [ at ] techwiz [ dot ] ca> wrote:

I'm currently in cottage country and internet here is limited. Talked to
the people and I'm now wondering how it could be fixed.
Setup is basically
  bell vdsl modem, wireless router -> unmanaged switch.
  From the switch it is a copper to fibre adapter and then fibre to each
cottage.
  In each cottage it then goes to the phone (voip phone is connected to
the switch) and on to a wireless router for each cottage.
Issue is that out here the incoming speed is very low and any cottage
doing any load kills everything. Right now they have very limited means
to even monitor who it would be (look at what light that flashes most).

I have limited network knowledge but I'm thinking of removing the first
wireless router (which I suspect is from when the pppoe info was
required outside the modem), then put a managed switch in and then a rpi
to collect the info so they at least can see what port (=cottage) that
use most bandwidth.

My question is - what things should I look at? I'm guessing it exist
apps/appliances for this purpose, does anyone know?