[OCLUG-Tech] static ip setup for Linux Mint 18 and similar

I recently updated a desktop machine to LM18 "Sarah". It dual boots BunsenLabs Hydrogen (successor to CrunchBang,
running Debian Jessie).

It has been useful to sshfs to this desktop to transfer files over LAN, so I have used a static IP. The approach was to edit /etc/network/interfaces. My typical file was

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.91
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1

This does work with Bunsen, but not with LM18. Indeed, it seems to mess up networking. Running ifconfig (with original
DHCP) shows the interface has name enp3s0, so I tried changing to that. Also adding dns-servers line to the interfaces file. Also a null file in interfaces.d with the name of the interface.

Trying to do setup with the Control Centre "Network" tool presents dialogs that will not allow all the info to be entered. This looks to be buggy, as things jump around, change values and colours. Sigh. Looks like there's a lot of cruft been left around from "old" approaches to networking that may be messing up doing things appropriately.

Anyone else had experience with this. I can manage with the DHCP setup, but it would be nice to know what's going on.

JN