Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Job posting - Junior backend developer

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Job posting - Junior backend developer
  • From: Alex Pilon <alp [ at ] alexpilon [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 12:21:17 -0500

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 11:45:16AM -0500, J C Nash wrote:
> Absolutely. And we used to be able to post on the website too.

Miralaw is looking for a junior backend developer. We are a small legal tech
startup in the Ottawa downtown core. We are a progressive company disrupting
the legal industry. We care about work-life balance, performing intense sprints
punctuated by VR gaming and Nerf gun battles.

- You will be mentored by a backend developer. We will give you the opportunity
  to develop your skill set.
- You will have the opportunity to interact with every member of a small
  startup team:
    * frontend
    * data
    * ops
    * marketing

We just recently launched a closed beta of Compass.Law, after a month-long
sprint. This is an opportunity to shape the early history of an innovative
product. We need to stabilize, optimize, and implement the second set of
features. There will be many opportunities to own most or the entirety of some
of our backend components.

Applicants must be available full-time.

Your responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:

- Designing and implementing backend application components
- Managing application deployment
- Reviewing peer code
- Developing the product test framework
- Responding to issues in production

Required experience and knowledge:

- Git, or comparable DVCS experience (not SVN, not CVS)
- Object-oriented programming
- Basic unit, integration, and regression testing
- Basic Linux, or some POSIX OS experience
- College or University degree programming, computer science, computer/software engineering, or equivalent

Additional assets:

- Ruby on Rails
- Relational database design basics
- SQL
- 1-2 years of prior development experience
- Basic exposure to ORMs

You will also acquire skills with:

- Heroku or AWS
- ElasticSearch
- Advanced ORM techniques
- Code review and analysis tools (e.g., Gemnasium, static code checkers)
- Basic secure coding best practices (e.g., OWASP guidelines, Rails security)

                                 * * *

I will be screening and interviewing candidates. Those of you who have
sons, daughters, relatives, or acquaintances who just graduated, feel
free to pass this on and my contact info, but please use my business
email. If you need to phone, ask for my number over email.

Thank you.

Regards,

Alex Pilon
alex [ at ] miralaw [ dot ] ca