Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Home built PC w/ Win10 cannot get Ubuntu

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Home built PC w/ Win10 cannot get Ubuntu
  • From: jf [ at ] messier [ dot ] ca
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2016 02:18:34 +0000
Quoting Ross Jordan <rjordan [ at ] numb [ dot ] ca>:

I do not have the exact error message. My fault, I did not note it down at first, and I should.

Indeed, both internal hard disks were detected, and "fdisk -l" listed their partitions properly. As for re-ordering the disks, when In installed Windows first, on the "Drive 0" as said by Windows installer, that same drive became known as /dev/sda under Ubuntu, so the disk ordering was properly kept between Window$ and Ubuntu.

When googling around, I found that there was something about disabling fastboot prior to install Ubuntu, and re-enabling it after. Did not have time to try it yet.

Yes, this motherboard had this <beep> UEFI thing. I will continue trying things tomorrow. If there is time on Thursday meeting, we could talk about it.

Thanks :-)

What was the error message?

Was the disk detected? (dmesg | grep sda)
Can you open the disk with fdisk and read it?

Some BIOS may re-order drives when booting from an external drive.

-Ross