Re: [OCLUG-Tech] tar or rsync for backup greater than 50Gb

> On 16-02-28 09:10 PM, Bruce Harding wrote:
>>
>> The home server houses a photo gallery with 13000 pictures and a blog.
>> Should the number of files have any bearing on the choice of backup?

Your choice in backup should be based on ease of use and reliability
first. Ease of use so that you use it. Reliability for obvious
reasons. Any half reasonable system should be able to handle that
number of files.

I would recommend rsnapshot which is a wrapper around rsync. I have
used rsync in production for backups for a while. Some years ago I
switched from my hacked up rsync script to rsnapshot. Rsnapshot makes
light weight full backups. On my workstation I use rsnapshot to make
hourly backups to a local disk, and daily backups to a remote server
via rsync over ssh.