Re: [OCLUG-Tech] anyone set up gitlab community edition?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] anyone set up gitlab community edition?
  • From: Rob Echlin <rob [ at ] echlin [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 14:50:22 +0000 (UTC)
Hi Rob,I have used Stash from Atlassian for a year or two.I am superuser for the machine, but not admin, so I can only speak to using it to set up repos, manage permissions, and commit code.
I found it to be easy to add a repo, set permissions.It works well with the Active Directory server for group permissions and individual permissions.
There were problems with groups that contained groups that contained people when we started.
That works now, so I am not sure if it was a config setting or a software update.
Committing from the command line with a script requires SSH keys to be submitted to the server, passwords don't work from automated scripts.
When you first set up, you must log in from the web interface where it will ask you to respond to a CAPCHA.This is weird and unnecessary for a set of repos that is only visible inside our firewall.Also, sometimes you can trigger it to require the CAPCHA again, possibly by failing your password several times.
It works  OK for me.
All my very best,Rob
 -- Rob Echlin, B. Eng. 613-266-8311 -  Ottawa, ONhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/rob_echlin/ - http://talksoftware.wordpress.com