Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Odd behaviour in find

On 15-11-25 02:21 PM, Alex Pilon wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 01:51:51PM -0500, Bill Strosberg wrote:
>> 'sadasdasdasd'
>>

>> Sad as das DASD?    Anyone else remember an IBM DASD?  Size of a
>> refrigerator.  Could now be replaced by a USB thumbdrive.
> Dummy text.
>
> Forgot to mention.
>
>     $ find -- sadasdasdasd
>     find: `sadasdasdasd': No such file or directory
>
> Regards,
>
> Alex Pilon

I guess I'm showing my age.  Direct Access Storage Devices (DASD) units
were huge - used on 1970-80's IBM mainframes.  I read your random text
and saw "Sad as das DASD" - I unconsciously look for patterns in stuff
streaming by - a practice developed from years of watching data
streaming by, looking for anomalies.  Worked in the 80's with an old
IBM'mer who could read/translate EBCDIC going by as fast as it streamed
across a terminal.

If you watch anything long enough you gain the ability to notice
anything that isn't usual without effort.  It's how I learned to
understand network data traffic.  I can glance at a page of text and
notice interesting text fragments without consciously reading.

--
Bill