Re: [OCLUG-Tech] looking for advice on running solaris live for a class

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] looking for advice on running solaris live for a class
  • From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 09:18:24 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 18 Nov 2015, Murphy Scott wrote:

> OmniOS is an opensolaris successor that runs as a live DVD. I do
> know that it is active, they had a booth at the conference I was
> attending last week.
>
> http://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/WikiStart
>
> Oracle was there as well and Oracle Solaris 11 is still available if you want to go that route.
>
> Scott

  i'm looking for something that boots and runs directly off a USB
drive, and i'm confused by something i'm reading here:

http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Installing+OpenIndiana

when i read that something is a "live USB" image, i normally assume
that i simply "dd" that to a USB stick, and i can boot from that. but
notice the instructions on that page:

 1. Download both the standard live USB file and the 1G.header file.
 4. Run the following command (as root or with appropriate
privileges): cat 1G.header <live USB image file> | dd bs=1024k
of=<path to raw USB storage device>

  i'm confused ... how is something a "live USB image file" if you
need to prepend a 1G "header file" when copying it to a USB drive?
that just seems ... weird.

  i'll give OmniOS a try, thanks.

rday