[OCLUG-Tech] formail / fetchmail issue

I recently had some issues with my research (virtual) server at uOttawa.
As it was Ubuntu 12.04 decided to upgrade. Telfer "standard" is now
Centos 7, and I decided to go with that. However, I'm finding that I'm
getting an error when I do some email backups using fetchmail,
particularly in the MDA formail step. I found that leaving out the mda
line does save mail to /var/spool/nashjc OK and doesn't give the error.
I've tried 777 perms for umail and umail/inbox file.

I'll not pretend to know much about this sort of stuff, but did have it
working OK.

Here's my .fetchmailrc with pw obscured

[nashjc@nash2015 ~]$ cat .fetchmailrc
set postmaster "nashjc"
set bouncemail
set no spambounce
set softbounce
set properties ""
set no showdots

poll mailbox.uottawa.ca with proto IMAP
  user 'nashjc' there with password 'xxxxxx' is 'nashjc' here
  options keep fetchall
  mda "formail -c >> /home/john/umail/inbox"
  folder INBOX

And here is what happens:

[nashjc@nash2015 ~]$ fetchmail
fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: unable to get local
issuer certificate
fetchmail: This means that the root signing certificate (issued for
/C=CA/ST=Ontario/L=Ottawa/O=University of
Ottawa/OU=CCS/CN=mailbox.uottawa.ca) is not in the trusted CA
certificate locations, or that c_rehash needs to be run on the
certificate directory. For details, please see the documentation of
--sslcertpath and --sslcertfile in the manual page.
fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: certificate not trusted
fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: unable to verify the
first certificate
fetchmail: Warning: the connection is insecure, continuing anyways.
(Better use --sslcertck!)
40 messages for nashjc at mailbox.uottawa.ca (folder INBOX).
reading message nashjc [ at ] mailbox [ dot ] uottawa [ dot ] ca:1 of 40 (1961 header octets)
.# (189500 body octets)
/home/john/umail/inbox: No such file or directory
error writing message text
fetchmail: MDA error while fetching from nashjc [ at ] mailbox [ dot ] uottawa [ dot ] ca
fetchmail: Query status=6 (IOERR)
[nashjc@nash2015 ~]$

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.