Re: [OCLUG-Tech] next meeting? and free wireless routers

On Wed, 31 Dec 2014, Stephen Gregory wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 5:01 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca> wrote:
> >
> > http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1046_1047&item_id=050695
> > http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1046_1047&item_id=063780
> >
> > both for actual use and experimentation.
>
> If I don't have any AC wifi clients is the extra $20 for the AC1750
> worth it? After a quick glance at the openWRT pages for both I
> couldn't tell if one is better supported than the other. I am leaning
> towards getting the AC1750 as it is newer, but many times newer does
> not mean better.

  a couple more points. for an AC client, a friend of mine just used
his smartphone, and was clearly connected to the 5G band of the
router.

  and even if you have no current AC clients, it might be fun to have
the dual band just to goof around and play with load balancing. i have
no financial interest in tp-link routers, but that price of $79 for
the AC1750 archer c7 v2.3 you can get at canada computers is probably
the best deal you're going to find. most people on the openwrt mailing
list have the attitude that, if you want a decent wireless router,
just buy the best tp-link you can afford.

rday

p.s. you don't even need to build openwrt for it, openwrt has a
downloads directory with (non-GUI) images ready to flash out of the
box:

https://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier_breaker/14.07/ar71xx/generic/