Re: [OCLUG-Tech] dd disk

On 14-10-31 11:39 PM, Alex Pilon wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 05:39:29AM -0400, Rick Leir wrote:
>> On 26/10/2014 12:00 PM, linux-request [ at ] lists [ dot ] oclug [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca wrote:
>>> ?: /dev/sdd:
>>>    reading sector 0: SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]:  70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00 11 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
>>>    succeeded
>>>    5355 4342 002c 0000 0200 0000 0080 8510
>> Sense data are the markers that indicate the start of the next block, so at
>> least part of the disk is corrupted at a very low level. Or the read head is
>> non-functional.
>>
>> Did you try dd skip=BLOCKS to jump past block zero and try another track?
> Yes. That and reading arbitrary sectors with hdparm --read-sector. No
> change. Already falling back to the data recovery service. I'll let
> this list know anything useful about their services.

I hope you have success getting your data back.  If you are referring to
Tunstall & Tunstall, I've used them in the past - and highly recommended
them to clients who have as well.  They are pros - used by the RCMP and
other government security agencies needing evidence recovery and
skill/tool sets far above the average sysadmin.

The cost of data recovery and the risk of relying on cheap drives taught
me to build multiple redundant servers - I operate with at least two
complete "hot spare" backups capable of being dropped into my
co-location site and can be back up within the time it takes to drive
the spare to the live site.  I rotate boxes out of service after three
years and generally have at least one new box every year in the cycle.
As soon as I have any suspicion of a drive failure impending I promote
one of the hotspares into production and build a new one.  Backup
servers are a lot cheaper than data recovery.

--
Bill Strosberg

message navigation