Re: [OCLUG-Tech] FYI: Phone Scam for Windows Support

On 08/08/2014 03:56 PM, dpatte wrote:
> I usually put them on hold and see how long they last. The winner so far was6 minutes
Done that when they start the call with "I'm calling long distance from
xxx", listen long enough that I can say "please hold while I get my
credit card"..

M$ support, when I feel like having some fun I state things like "glad
you finally called back, after you called last week(/month) it doesn't
start up any more" followed with whatever failure I feel like giving
them (no boot disk, blue screen, missing files, password no longer
working, black screen)
Of course it's also fun when you point them to a MAC, then he did tell a
fairy tale about "when you bought your computer you registered your
name, phone number and serial number and that's what we see, not what os
you running and we do only support windoze".
My mother in Sweden got the call and asked (in swedish) why the hell
they couldn't speak Swedish so she would understand.

As for duct cleaning, I just hang up, I don't even waste a second on
them. At one point I did say it was an apartment or that I rented the
house and wanted their phone number to give to the landlord but they
refused to give any kind of contact info.
Did see a show where they had tried to find out who is calling and it
took a lot of work since the only one they manage to trace trough
several proxies was in Pakistan.
They also checked what happens if you actually order the duct cleaning
and the initial good price is then ramped up when they discover that
your normal home has abnormal number of ducts (which of course is a lie)
and you have to pay extra for those extra ducts plus that the job it
self was anything but good.

/ps