Re: [OCLUG-Tech] FYI: Phone Scam for Windows Support

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] FYI: Phone Scam for Windows Support
  • From: Richard Guy Briggs <rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] net>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 13:06:17 -0400
On 14/08/08, Shawn H Corey wrote:
> I just got a phone call by a woman with an Indian accent for Windows
> phone support. This is a scam to get you to give them your password.
> Warn your friends and co-workers who are running Windows not to fall
> for it. Nobody should give their passwords over the phone.

Worse, they will actively sabotage your system, then extort to repair it.

One guy documented on his web site how they do this, starting by firing up an
expendable Windows VM, giving the guy credentials to log in, then watched the
guy delete some critical startup files, reboot into a non-functioning system,
then ask for money to repair it, recording the entire session.

I've strung a couple of them along...  One guy told me my computer was infected
with a virus.  I asked him which computer.  He had to pause because that wasn't
in his script.  He asked how many I had.  I replied 15.  He asked how many were
Windows machines.  I replied "none".  He said "You're lying."  I burst out
laughing at the irony of him telling me I was lying and I replied "I'm lying?
You are the one who told me I had a computer infected with a virus."  He gave
some weak excuse and hung up.

Any idea how to also get rid of the "Air Duct Cleaning Service" and "Credit
Card Services" liars too?  I've had dozens of calls from all three that won't
stop despite the fact that they waste their time at our number every time.
Because telcos make too much money selling services to shysters, they have no
interest in tracking offenders like this while do not call lists and anti-spam
legislation can interfere with legitimate activity.

</rant>

> 	Shawn

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\            <hpv.tricolour.net>
<www.TriColour.net>                --  \___   o \@       @       Ride yer bike!