Re: [OCLUG-Tech] anyone out there playing with an intel galileo board?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] anyone out there playing with an intel galileo board?
  • From: Dmitriy Korovkin <korovkin [ at ] sympatico [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 23:36:15 -0400
Ok, here, as I promised are instructions on how to boot Galileo board from SD.
Problem is that on old "firmware" versions (prior to 0.7.5) GRUB located on SPI flash did not recognize the grub.cfg file located on SD. It should, but did not.

Method one or "do it all yourself".
Assume, you have, kernel, rootfs, all on the SSD.
Now, it's time to build the GRUB (2.0) and load it.
You need to get gnu-efi 3.0u or later. Download GRUB 2.0 sources and build grub (as EFI extension, of course).
$ cd ~/grub
$ ./autogen.sh
$ CFLAGS="-march=i586" ./configure --with-platform=efi --target=i386 --program-prefix=""
$ make
$ cd grub-core
$ ../grub-mkimage -O i386-efi -d . -o grub.efi -p "" part_gpt part_msdos \
fat ext2 normal chain boot configfile linux multiboot help serial terminal \
elf efi_gop efi_uga terminfo

Now you should have grub.efi in ~/grub/grub-core. Place it in /efi/boot on SD. And place grub.cfg into same /efi/boot.
Power up the board, wat for
<Press F7 to ...>
And press F7. Yes, you need PuTTY to make the board understand this <F7>.
Then you get to menu, there select "UEFI Internal Shell" From shell run:
Shell> grub.efi

System boots.

Method two or "long and windy road"
Ths method assumes upgrading the board firmware to the latest and greatest. Warning: version 0.7.5 has prebuilt images, but it disables reset button, which I found inconvenient.
So, you follow the nice PDF document and finally have firmware upgraded.
In this case al you need -- just to place grub.cfg into /boot directory on SD card and it should work.

Good luck and let me know if anything does not work as it should.

Dmitriy