Re: [OCLUG-Tech] dynamic DNS

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 06:48:02AM -0400, Rick Leir wrote:
> recently Bell persuaded me that Fibe was better, so now there is a
> Bell router

Pure router, or also layer 2 bridge into the fibre network, DHCP server,
caching name server, etc?

> that comes with no manual (try to google for it, I found nothing!).

I've seen other people work around the Bell crud.

    http://www.reddit.com/r/halifax/comments/1a5j2m/anyone_using_their_own_router_with_fibreop/
    http://ontario-geofish.blogspot.ca/2014/03/linux-new-router.html
    http://superuser.com/questions/682335/router-in-front-of-bell-modem-drops-out-tv

Some people's small routers may have trouble at higher speeds. The CoDel
or Bufferbloat, and the Soekris lists had something about what
throughput one could expect to get on certain boards.

> Now Linux is not using pppoe,

PPPoE, or PPP for that matter is not exactly pretty. Good riddance. My
cable service is just a pure cable to Ethernet bridge to my router, and
I don't regret it. My router still does DHCP, which is nice, because I
can plug in custom scripts.

REgards,

Alex Pilon