Re: [OCLUG-Tech] dynamic DNS

On 25/04/2014 12:00 PM, linux-request [ at ] lists [ dot ] oclug [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca wrote:
I have a couple of domains that I host on my server with Teksavvy as my ISP.  I use dyndns.com for DNS, but I was going to try and move away from dyndns.
I use zoneedit.com for free DNS. My site blinkmonitor.com is on a dynamic IP. As mentioned before, the IP does not change frequently. Your home Linux box can be set up with a script that checks the current IP then updates zonedit. The script can run when the pppoe has connected.

This works fine if your Linux is connected to the ADSL modem. But recently Bell persuaded me that Fibe was better, so now there is a Bell router that comes with no manual (try to google for it, I found nothing!). Now Linux is not using pppoe, and does not know when the IP has changed. Now I update DNS manually, but I should set up a cron job to check the IP for changes. I hate to do this: it would be polling, not event driven.
cheers -- Rick