Re: [OCLUG-Tech] [OT] looking for someone who can machine aluminum blocks

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] [OT] looking for someone who can machine aluminum blocks
  • From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 06:12:02 -0600 (CST)
On Thu, 24 Apr 2014, Richard Guy Briggs wrote:

> On 14/04/23, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> >   given the possible "maker" community in the area, i figure i might
> > as well ask here -- i'm looking for someone local who can do some
> > simple machining of aluminum blocks to build a spherical ice cube
> > maker. here's a sample set of instructions online:
> >
> > http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-an-ice-ball-maker/
> >
> >   really pretty straightforward -- two sizable aluminum blocks,
> > machine two half-spheres into them, then install a couple vertical
> > guides to let one block slowly, driven by it own weight, flatten a
> > chunk of ice into a perfectly spherical ball. here's a video showing
> > the principle in action (using copper instead of aluminum):
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuSeKS9sbZg
> >
> >   anyway, you get the idea. anyone here have any suggestions for
> > machine shops in town that can do this kind of thing? thanks.
>
> This guy can most likely help you:
> 	http://www.johnsonweldingworks.com/
>
> I'm heading in there today to get a part of one of my recumbent
> bikes fixed.

  thanks, i'll check that out. and if anyone else is interested, i
also found this, http://archerprecision.ca/, where the machinist/owner
assures me what i'm looking for seems pretty simple. i look forward
not only to making spherical ice cubes, but also lording it over
others as to why that shape is thermodynamically optimal for
cocktails. :-)

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca