[OCLUG-Tech] looking for up-to-date list of kernel debugging/profiling utilities

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] looking for up-to-date list of kernel debugging/profiling utilities
  • From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 07:52:09 -0500 (EST)
  preparing for the imminent(?) release of RHEL 7 and starting to
redesign some of my training courses, and i'm interested in what would
be considered the state-of-the-art utilities for kernel profiling,
debugging, etc. mostly, since there's no way to cover *all* of the
available technologies, i want to winnow the list to just a few of
what folks would consider *must have* tools.

  (disclaimer: i'm still by no means an expert in this area so i'm
totally open to suggestions from people who've spent a lot of time
doing this sort of thing.)

  so far, my list of absolutely must cover stuff would include:

  * ftrace
  * perf
  * systemtap

but i realize there's tons more stuff, including all of the kernel
configuration options one can select for additional tracing.

  thoughts? if there's a good web page out there that already covers
this stuff, i'll take the link. if not, i'll start my own public wiki
page so others can take advantage of the results.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca