Re: [OCLUG-Tech] encrypted filesystems -- LUKS versus eCryptfs?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] encrypted filesystems -- LUKS versus eCryptfs?
  • From: Alex Pilon <alp [ at ] alexpilon [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 16:18:35 -0500
On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 03:47:05PM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> it *seems* that eCryptfs is an improvement over LUKS. is that
> accurate?

No.

> or are they equally viable technologies so that one could reasonably
> choose one or the other depending on the circumstances?

Yes… and no. One does **block device** encryption, the other is a
stacked cryptographic **filesystem**. Personally, I just encrypt
everything but the boot partition nowadays so I may not be the best
judge. You could though use eCryptFS for transparent encryption of all
files under a directory on somebody's portable drive, a network
filesystem mount [1], etc.

It's also suboptimal to do encrypted swap using eCryptFS.

eCryptFS is mounted on top of a directory, transparently encrypting
further operations within the directory, and storing the transformed
data into another directory of your chosing. If I recall correctly,
operations on items under the directory prior to the use of eCryptFS are
undefined.

LUKS does block device symmetric encryption. It's in a way a wrapper
around dm-crypt. Plain dm-crypt requires you to specify all the
parameters manually, whereas LUKS creates a header at the beginning of
the block device. dm-crypt requires you to understand the crypto, and
won't do things like salting your secret. LUKS will randomly generate
(and salt if I recall correctly) a master secret, and provide ten
“slots” for weaker secrets (e.g., passwords, passphrases, or binary data
of your chosing), which it'll run through PBKDF2.

>   put another way, i have to teach some basic encrypted filesystems
> as part of an admin course in january, and i'm wondering if i should
> cover both technologies, or simply the *better* one. at the moment,
> i suspect i should cover both, just to play it safe.

Cover both. “Full disk” encryption is likely (don't know how many people
still use loop-AES or TrueCrypt) typically done using LUKS whereas
selective encryption (such as some users' home directories by Ubuntu) is
done using eCryptFS.

1: Hopefully primarily to deal with insecure storage on the remote end,
   not to secure the transport, something which would be better done
   using TLS or IPsec.