Re: [OCLUG-Tech] UEFI on SDD

To anybody on this list not already familiar with EFI or
{Trusted,Secure} Boot, you may wish to read up on EFI if you'll
configure a new consumer x86 system. I reference a few links I've
vetted, below in case you don't know where to start. I've kept you CCed
for that.

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 09:13:25AM -0500, Eric Brackenbury wrote:
> Having a bit of a brain teaser at the moment.

> I have been running Ubuntu 12.04 on all my machines but out of
> curiosity I tried putting 13.10 on my Thinkpad X120e,

I run a rolling-release distro and would be fine with 13.10. You may or
may not wish to wait four months for the LTS release, 14.04.

> it has a 250gig SDD which ran 12.04 just fine.

Likely just generic AHCI. I doubt you'll have driver problems.

> I looked at the partitions and saw it had an efi boot partition before
> I tried the 13.10 from a thumb drive.

Please look at the earlier thread that R. P. Day started.

    http://www.oclug.on.ca/archives/linux/2013-October/004363.html

> I went through the standard install procedure

Which likely won't won't work unless Ubuntu automagically installs
itself differently depending on whether it was EFI or BIOS-booted, and
whether or not the target system is EFI or BIOS.

I wouldn't depend on automagical, only on something that would
explicitly ask me. Anyhow, installing something on EFI manually on a
more transparent distro isn't that hard. I've done it before on
something EFIish (Macbook Pro 6,2, and 10,1—Yes, I *used* to be a Mac
noob). In spite of all the bloat Ubuntu has on top, I wouldn't imagine
it being that hard to swap out the boot loader, etc.

You really should get a whole background on EFI before attempting to
install. I'll quote something I sent R. P. Day but not the list:

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 09:27:17AM -0400, Alex Pilon wrote:
> […] you may find the following useful.
>
> * http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/principles.html
> * http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/efi-boot-process.html

The two above in particular.

> * http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/efistub.html

I boot using efistub, with rEFInd passing the arguments to the image.

> * http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/index.html
> * http://www.rodsbooks.com/bios2uefi/index.html
>
> They're not just HOWTOs; they actually explain (U)EFI.
>
> […]
>
> Do you also have ‘secure boot’ in there?
>
> * http://www.rodsbooks.com/secure-boot/index.html
> * http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/secureboot.html
>
> You may need to work around that too.
>
> Once that's all done, you may want to change the default boot option by
> setting a few EFI variables, which are stored in NVRAM.

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 09:13:25AM -0500, Eric Brackenbury wrote:
> till I hit "install" when it told me to go back and put an efi
> partition of at least 35megs right at the beginning,

The Ubuntu installer?

> that meant starting all over so I did.

I doubt Ubuntu had anything in there that depended on hard-coded
partition layout. Couldn't you have just tarred the filesystem,
repartitioned, and untarred?

> to cut a long story short after three attempts I decided to use the
> latest gparted IOS and partition before installing so as to make sure
> the efi was correctly placed.

Unless you have very odd firmware, I'm not sure how EFI depends on
partition placement. If I recall correctly, it depends on label and/or
partition code.

> So whats happening is on reboot after installing the hard drive cannot
> be found whichever way I installed.

Really? Or the appropriate *boot option* cannot be found?

> I did go into the BIOS

I thought this was EFI? If you colloquially mean ‘some configuration
menu offered by the firmware before handing off boot to something on
secondary storage’, fine.

> and make sure UEFI was enabled in both USB and SATA locations,

You have to explicitly enable EFI booting instead of CSM per-medium? It
won't just scan for EFI partitions or give you the option to try to
CSM-boot?

> also I tried a DVD install

What do you mean? That you plugged in a portable DVD drive?

> as person on a Ubuntu forum in the UK suggested that would work,

Your troubles should be agnostic from the installation medium.

> the laptop is from Oct 2012 and the SDD is less
> than 6 months old so all hardware is current.

I don't think that this is a hardware problem at all. It's more likely a
firmware issue, or just a misunderstanding about EFI.

> I hope I have provided enough information for someone to perhaps make a
> suggestion or two.

Call?

> 13.10 works fine on this machine installed on a spinning disc

Do you mean that CSM-booting the stock live Ubuntu DVD works?

Regards,

Alex Pilon