Re: [OCLUG-Tech] books

All:

I've been at this so long that eBooks weren't even a gleam in Tim O'Reilly's eye when I started. I have a pretty complete "zoo" of O'Reilly books on my office shelves. I like dead trees for reference. They run forever without being plugged in. They are available without connection to the Interweeb. The paper white display is phenomenal, and you can write permanent notes with a standard pencil that last forever on the display. You can have any number of them open at once without clogging up your coding screen. I like trade print format books - they are larger and easier on 50+ year old eyes. Real Post-it note bookmarks work better than ethereal electronic book marks.

Although the young folks will take exception to this, eBooks are a poor, flawed approximation of the dead tree versions, with many compromises added. Dead tree books can't disappear through DRM measures and failure to feed the meter every month. They can't be tied to a platform, a vendor or an employer. Battery life is infinite with dead trees. I don't get headaches from dead tree books. eBooks don't show enough readable size content per screen (I hate to say "page" in eBook context), and I'm used to scanning two pages of dead tree books in a glance. There is a substance to real books I like. When I say it is on page 73 of the third edition of "The Bat Book" to another old guy, they know exactly where and what I mean. eBooks resize content based on platform, screen resolutions and user so there is no common frame of reference that can be easily shared.

eBooks are very profitable. eBooks are very vendor-controllable and subscribe-able. eBooks provide recurring revenue streams to vendors. eBooks can disappear without notice. I used to like going to see Bruce and compare and buy books.

Now I sound like an elderly curmudgeon. I've got multiple tablets from multiple vendors and have coded for them (I hate Java), but they just aren't better for me.

--
Bill