Re: [OCLUG-Tech] how to configure a kernel *minimally* based on running system?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] how to configure a kernel *minimally* based on running system?
  • From: Alex Pilon <alp [ at ] alexpilon [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 13:13:19 -0400
On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 12:48:37PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> if there's a simple way to do this, i've managed to miss it. i want to
> configure and build a new kernel for my 64-bit ubuntu laptop to prep
> for writing and loading numerous kernel modules for an upcoming device
> driver course, so i did the obvious:
>
>   $ make defconfig

	$ make help | grep localmodconfig
	  localmodconfig  - Update current config disabling modules not loaded
    $ make localmodconfig
	$ make nconfig # to remove code that is statically linked, or to
	               # add/remove other features

Any modules that aren't loaded won't get compiled in. See `make help` in
the root of the kernel source directory for further help.

> am i just missing something trivially obvious?

It is also in the README in the root of the kernel source directory. You
may want to check that too.

Cheers,

Alex Pilon