Re: [OCLUG-Tech] how to start ripping all my music CDs?

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 11:16:28AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

<SNIP>

>   given lots of disk space, my initial idea is to rip everything to FLAC
> format, which is of course the least efficient but is lossless. for now,
> i won't care about space efficiency, i can always convert to a different
> format later once i decide how to set up my in-house media centre.

I would highly recommend the abcde (A Better CD Encoder) script.  You can rip to multiple formats at the same time, so FLAC + a lossy format.

I'd personally avoid MP3, yes it's widely supported, but it's a non-free format.  OGG is technically superior and FAIF, win-win.  I chose my portable player based on support for OGG.

>   thoughts? all i want is the recipe for how i can start loading up that
> new hard drive with my tunes, and not have to facepalm myself a few months
> from now, muttering, "crap, i forget to do X so i have to start all
> over."
>
> rday

Also, don't use "normalize" it will result in decreased quality, instead consider using the various reply-gain programs.

Good luck,

George