Re: [OCLUG-Tech] how to set up "passwordless" ssh login?

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013, Rob Echlin wrote:

> Hi Rob,

> 1)

> I believe that the location where the SSH server looks for keys can
> be configured in /etc in its config fiile. Is that on a read-only
> location, too?

  i know about that, here's the sshd_config line for that:

#AuthorizedKeysFile     %h/.ssh/authorized_keys

but the root filesystem is extracted from a squashfs so i don't know
*where* i have write permission (if any).

> 2)
> Given what you do every day, I think there is some possibility that you are going to burn the file system on the remote
> system yourself.
> <g>
>
> If that is the case, create the .ssh folder with 1 or more public keys in it before you burn it.
> Copy the private key to whatever system(s) you are working from.
> Don't use the passwordless option for your private key. <g>

  don't think that's going to work either, as public keys might not be
available ahead of time.

  it's actually fine to conclude that this just isn't going to work.
all i wanted to confirm is that i wasn't missing anything obvious.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca