[OCLUG-Tech] multiboot liveCD isos on external HDD

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] multiboot liveCD isos on external HDD
  • From: "Prof J C Nash (U30A)" <nashjc [ at ] uottawa [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 18:36:14 -0400
I've an old 40G 2.5" drive from a dead laptop that is in a USB case.

My thought was to use it for holding a bunch of .iso images of liveCDs. However, I've had no joy trying to set up booting of these.

Multisystem "sort of" worked once. Seems glitchy, and attached to different systems had different behaviour.

Gujin (following some suggested approaches on net) did not fire up.

Grub seems needs an interface to the isos, and instructions I found seemed to suggest I could simply specify the isos in the grub.cfg, which failed when I tried. (The recipe I tried was not clear if it wanted grub or grub2, and I suspect therein lies some of the trouble.)

Has anyone done something like this. I'd be happy to get some advice, get it working and write a 1-pager. I've rather put the isos on an external drive than burn them to cd/dvd.

Cheers, JN