Re: [OCLUG-Tech] more emphasis on online tutorials as opposed to meetings?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] more emphasis on online tutorials as opposed to meetings?
  • From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 09:08:38 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 20 Jan 2013, Richard Guy Briggs wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 02:22:48PM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> >   for instance, after rob e. mentioned the raspberry pi, i offered
> > to demo how easy it is to build a bootable image for one using
> > openembedded and the publicly-available meta-raspberrypi layer.
> > but it so happens i've already written that up and it's available
> > at my wiki (might need a bit of updating but should still work):
> >
> >   http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Building_basic_RPi_image
> >
> > so there's not much point using meeting time to explain something
> > that anyone can read at their leisure at my web site.
>
> You may not see much point, but different people learn in different
> ways and different people get different things out of in-person
> meetings.

  just to be clear, i wasn't suggesting there was no need for
meetings; i was suggesting that, after pondering, i didn't see much
value in my presenting a lightning talk about using openembedded for
building an image for a raspberry pi since i'd already described the
process in detail on a web page.

  the point i'm suggesting is that, if someone proposes an interesting
topic, one need not always wait for a meeting to cover it.  if someone
knows of a good web page, or wants to write one, on that topic, that
might be the solution.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca