Re: [OCLUG-Tech] more emphasis on online tutorials as opposed to meetings?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] more emphasis on online tutorials as opposed to meetings?
  • From: Richard Guy Briggs <rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] net>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 20:37:04 -0500
On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 02:22:48PM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   in the midst of regular discussions about what talk to have at the
> next meeting, i think it would be productive to place more emphasis on
> writing/collecting really good and current tutorials on how to do
> things in linux, as opposed to always waiting for a meeting to see how
> something is done.
>
>   for instance, after rob e. mentioned the raspberry pi, i offered to
> demo how easy it is to build a bootable image for one using
> openembedded and the publicly-available meta-raspberrypi layer.  but
> it so happens i've already written that up and it's available at my
> wiki (might need a bit of updating but should still work):
>
>   http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Building_basic_RPi_image
>
> so there's not much point using meeting time to explain something that
> anyone can read at their leisure at my web site.

You may not see much point, but different people learn in different ways and
different people get different things out of in-person meetings.

You can learn a lot by reading things on the internet.  I document a lot of
what I do to share with people all over the world, and I also take advantage of
opportunities to present that same information in person when asked.  But you
also learn lots by going to a meeting where there are other tid-bits of
information that you wouldn't necessarily think to look up or read about.
There is also a strong social component that the internet simply can't fill.

There are times when I write email for information.  There are times when I
write web pages to give it.  There are times when I pick up the telephone, and
there are times when I go for a bit to eat, tea or a beer to learn or share
something.

>   any thoughts on this?  doesn't mean people need to personally write
> stuff if all it takes is locating a perfectly good tutorial that's
> already out there.

I much prefer drinking beer with friends face-to-face.

> rday

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\            <hpv.tricolour.net>
<www.TriColour.net>                --  \___   o \@       @       Ride yer bike!