Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Hybrid cloud+private virtualization for CentOS servers - recommendations?

On 12-08-15 09:04 AM, Steve La Rocque wrote:
Thanks Paul.  I'm very much interested in OpenStack and CloudStack both
from a centralized management perspective and for extending our
infrastructure to CSPs.  I'll look into them more deeply.

Your description of using puppet for your Asterisk systems was very
helpful.  Another person yesterday also recommended puppet, and I've
heard that Chef is another alternative that has a lot of energy behind
it which I should also investigate.

Thanks again!
Steve

I should have add this URL in my original post, but here are most of my puppet modules that I use[1]; more can be seen from the profile page. It also includes some puppet manifests for getting OpenStack (nova, glance, libvirt, etc) up and running on an instance.

Most of the work is writing the manifests for puppet, you can either start from scratch or use existing ones from github or puppetforge. For me, writing them from scratch was a great learning experience.

As for Chef, you are correct. It does the same thing just written by a different group of people. While I have not used Chef personally, the major differences I have heard about it is Puppet has better documentation.

Good luck and let me know if I can help.

[1]https://github.com/kickstandproject/puppet-modules

--
Paul Belanger | PolyBeacon, Inc.
Jabber: paul [ dot ] belanger [ at ] polybeacon [ dot ] com | IRC: pabelanger (Freenode)